S392 - Various Charter School Changes. (Ratified)
Session Year 2019
Overview: Senate Bill 392 would make various changes to laws related to charter schools and would do the following:
- Authorize the Superintendent of Public Instruction to approve issuance of private activity bonds for charter school facilities after a public hearing.
- Clarify charter school renewal standards.
- Require background checks for charter school boards of directors.
- Remove the cap on enrollment growth of virtual charter schools participating in the virtual charter school pilot program.
- Authorize the State Board to allow a participating virtual charter school to increase enrollment by greater than 20%.
- For a participating virtual charter school that has been placed under monthly compliance monitoring as a result of a material change to its charter, require State Board approval before the school can have any enrollment increase.
SB 392 was ratified by the General Assembly on July 18, 2019, and vetoed by the Governor on July 29, 2019.