S671 - Virtual Education/Remote Academies/Virtual Charters. (SL 2022-59)
Session Year 2022
Overview: S.L. 2022-59 does the following:
- Repeals the sunset clause for the statute permitting limited virtual instruction during emergency conditions.
- Allows all local school administrative unit schools that provided full-time virtual instruction in the 2021-2022 school year to continue providing full-time virtual instruction in the 2022-2023 school year.
- Beginning in the 2023-2024 school year, authorizes local school administrative units to establish remote academies that meet certain requirements to provide full-time virtual instruction.
- Allows all charter schools that provided full-time virtual instruction in the 2021-2022 school year to continue providing full-time virtual instruction in the 2023-2024 school year.
- Transitions the schools in the virtual charter school pilot program from pilot status to complete a 10-year charter, with eligibility for renewal upon expiration.
Except as otherwise provided, this act became effective July 8, 2022, and applies beginning with the 2022-2023 school year.