S621 - Testing Reduction Act of 2019. (SL 2019-212)
Session Year 2019
Overview: S.L. 2019-212 reduces student testing requirements and makes other changes related to education laws in the State as follows:
- Eliminates the North Carolina Final Exams (NCFEs).
- Requires the Superintendent of Public Instruction to report on the North Carolina Personalized Assessment Tool (NCPAT) pilot.
- Requires reporting on and reductions in local testing.
- Requires local funding for economically disadvantaged students for graduation projects.
- Requires a review of the third grade reading end-of-grade test to ensure alignment with the Read to Achieve alternative assessment.
- Directs the State Board of Education (SBE) to recommend how to transition to a competency-based assessment and teaching model for all elementary and secondary school students in the State.
- Clarifies the definition of high-need retired teachers.
- Makes various changes to teacher licensure exam requirements.
This act became effective September 4, 2019, except as otherwise provided in the act.