S219 - Modify Teacher Licensing Requirements. (SL 2019-71)
Session Year 2019
Overview: S.L. 2019-71, as amended by Sec. 8 of S.L. 2019-212, does all of the following:
- Makes various changes related to testing to the initial professional teacher (IPL) licensure statutes.
- Creates a one-year IPL extension for certain teachers.
- Creates a new limited teaching license for individuals who do not meet the criteria for a continuing professional license and for out-of-state teacher licensees.
- Authorizes local boards of education to determine experience credit for newly employed teachers to pay them at the commensurate level on the State salary schedule during the first year of employment.
- Reduces the service requirement for a lifetime teaching license from 50 years to 30 years.
- Provides for emergency rulemaking to effectuate the requirements of the act.
This act became effective July 1, 2019, and, except as otherwise provided, applies beginning July 19, 2019.