S250 - Remove Foreign Citizens from Voting Rolls. (Ratified)
Session Year 2019
Overview: Senate Bill 250 would do the following:
- Codify the case law requirement that jurors be United States citizens.
- Allow a chief district court judge to delegate hearing jury excuses to the clerk of court.
- Require applications for excusals from jury duty be made on a form developed by the Administrative Office of the Courts.
- Require clerks to maintain records of persons asking to be excused from jury duty due to disqualification, and share those records with the State Board of Elections (State Board) if the disqualification is due to citizenship for use in voter list maintenance efforts.
- Create a process for voter list maintenance removal of non-citizens reported as disqualified from jury duty.
Senate Bill 250 was ratified by the General Assembly on October 31, 2019, and vetoed by the Governor on November 6, 2019.