S648 - Support Shellfish Aquaculture. (SL 2019-37)
Session Year 2019
Overview: S.L. 2019-37 makes the following changes to State laws governing shellfish aquaculture:
- Authorizes the establishment of Shellfish Aquaculture Enterprise Areas.
- Establishes the Pamlico Sound Shellfish Aquaculture Pilot Project.
- Increases the production and planting requirements for shellfish leases.
- Facilitates the transition of terminated leases to productive uses.
- Allows transplanting of seed oysters and seed clams from permitted aquaculture operation nursery facilities in prohibited waters.
- Establishes a new administrative process for certain appeals of shellfish lease decisions.
- Establishes temporary moratoria on shellfish leasing in the New Hanover County Area and in Bogue Sound.
- Establishes various studies related to shellfish aquaculture.
This act became effective July 1, 2019.