Regulation of Job Listing Services.
§ 95-47.19. Definitions.
Definitions of terms used in this Article shall be the same as in Chapter 95, Article 5A (Regulation of Private Personnel Services), with the words "job listing service" substituted, where appropriate, for the words "private personnel service." "Job listing service" means any business operated in the State of North Carolina by any person for profit which publishes, either orally or in writing, lists of specific positions of employment available with any employer other than itself or which holds itself out to applicants as able to provide information about specific positions of employment available with any employer other than itself, which charges a fee to any applicant for its services or purported services and which performs none of the activities of a private personnel service other than the publishing of job listings. "Job listing service" does not include:
(1) Any educational, religious, charitable, fraternal or benevolent organization which charges no fee for services rendered in providing information about employment;
(2) Any employment service operated by the State of North Carolina, the Government of the United States, or any city, county or town, or any agency thereof;
(3) Any temporary help service that charges no fee for services rendered in providing information about employment;
(4) Any newspaper of general circulation or other business engaged primarily in communicating information other than information about specific positions of employment and that does not purport to adapt the information provided to the needs or desires of an individual subscriber;
(5) Employment offices that charge no fee to the applicant other than union dues and which are used solely for the hiring of employees under a valid union contract by the employers subscribing to this contract. (1979, c. 780, s. 2.)