§ 90-37.2. Temporary permits for volunteer dentists.
(a) The North Carolina State Board of Dental Examiners may issue to a person who is not licensed to practice dentistry in this State and who is a graduate of a Board-approved dental school, college, or institution a temporary volunteer permit authorizing such person to practice dentistry under the supervision or direction of a dentist duly licensed in this State. A temporary volunteer permit shall be issued only to those dentists who are licensed in another Board-approved state or jurisdiction, have never been subject to discipline, and have passed a patient-based clinical examination substantially similar to the clinical examination offered in this State. The issuance of a temporary volunteer permit is subject to the following conditions:
(1) A temporary volunteer permit shall be valid no more than one year from the date of issue; provided, however, that the Board may renew the permit for additional one-year periods.
(2) The holder of a temporary volunteer permit may practice only under the supervision or direction of one or more dentists duly licensed to practice in this State.
(3) The holder of a temporary volunteer permit may practice dentistry only: (i) as a volunteer in a hospital, sanatorium, temporary clinic, or like institution which is licensed or approved by the State of North Carolina and approved by the Board; (ii) as a volunteer for a nonprofit health care facility serving low-income populations and approved by the State Health Director or his designee or approved by the Board; or (iii) as a volunteer for the State of North Carolina or an agency or political subdivision thereof, or any other governmental entity within the State of North Carolina, when such service is approved by the Board.
(4) The holder of a temporary volunteer permit shall receive no fee or monetary compensation of any kind or nature for any dental service performed.
(5) The practice of dentistry by the holder of a temporary volunteer permit shall be strictly limited to the confines of and to the registered patients of the hospital, sanatorium, temporary clinic, or approved nonprofit health care facilities for which he is working or to the patients officially served by the governmental entity to which he is offering his volunteer services.
(6) The holder of a temporary volunteer permit shall be subject to discipline by the Board for those actions constituting the practice of dentistry by G.S. 90-29 occurring while practicing in this State.
(7) Any person seeking a temporary volunteer permit must file with the Board such proof as is required by the Board to determine if the applicant has a valid unrestricted dental license in another state or jurisdiction, has not been subject to discipline by any licensing board, has a proven record of clinical safety and is otherwise qualified to practice dentistry in this State.
(8) There shall be no fee associated with the issuance of a temporary volunteer permit for the practice of dentistry.
(b) The Board is authorized to make rules consistent with this section to regulate the practice of dentistry for those issued a temporary volunteer permit. (2007-346, s. 27.)