§ 90-29.5. Instructor's license.
(a) The Board may issue an instructor's license to a person who is not otherwise licensed to practice dentistry in this State if the person meets both of the following conditions:
(1) Is licensed to practice dentistry anywhere in the United States or in any country, territory, or other recognized jurisdiction.
(2) Has met or been approved under the credentialing standards of a dental school or an academic medical center with which the person is to be affiliated; such dental school or academic medical center shall be accredited by the American Dental Association's Commission on Accreditation or the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Care Organizations.
(b) The holder of an instructor's license may teach and practice dentistry:
(1) In or on behalf of a dental school or college offering a doctoral degree in dentistry operated and conducted in this State and approved by the North Carolina State Board of Dental Examiners;
(2) In connection with an academic medical center; and
(3) At any teaching hospital adjacent to a dental school or an academic medical center.
(c) Application for an instructor's license shall be made in accordance with the rules of the North Carolina State Board of Dental Examiners. On or after January 1, 2003, all dentists previously practicing under G.S. 90-29(c)(3) shall be granted an instructor's license upon application to the Board and payment of the required fee. The holder of an instructor's license shall be subject to the provisions of this Article. (1979, 2nd Sess., c. 1195, s. 11; 2002-37, s. 7.)