§ 90-113.72. Definitions.
The following definitions apply in this Article:
(1) Commission. - The Commission for Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities, and Substance Abuse Services established under Part 4 of Article 3 of Chapter 143B of the General Statutes.
(2) Controlled substance. - A controlled substance as defined in G.S. 90-87(5).
(3) Department. - The Department of Health and Human Services.
(4) Dispenser. - A person who delivers a Schedule II through V controlled substance to an ultimate user in North Carolina, but does not include any of the following:
a. A licensed hospital or long-term care pharmacy that dispenses such substances for the purpose of inpatient administration.
b. Repealed by Session Laws 2013-152, s. 1, effective January 1, 2014, and applicable to prescriptions delivered on or after that date.
c. A wholesale distributor of a Schedule II through V controlled substance.
d. A person licensed to practice veterinary medicine pursuant to Article 11 of Chapter 90 of the General Statutes.
(4a) Pharmacy. - A person or entity holding a valid pharmacy permit pursuant to G.S. 90-85.21 or G.S. 90-85.21A.
(5) Ultimate user. - A person who has lawfully obtained, and who possesses, a Schedule II through V controlled substance for the person's own use, for the use of a member of the person's household, or for the use of an animal owned or controlled by the person or by a member of the person's household. (2005-276, s. 10.36(a); 2013-152, s. 1; 2017-74, s. 9.)