§ 90-113.101. (Repealed effective July 1, 2021) Definitions.
The following definitions apply in this Article:
(1) Caregiver. - An individual that is at least 18 years of age and a resident of North Carolina who is a parent, legal guardian, or custodian of a patient and is registered with the Department of Health and Human and Services under G.S. 90-113.102 who possesses a written statement dated and signed by a neurologist that states all of the following:
a. The patient has been examined and is under the care of the neurologist.
b. The patient suffers from intractable epilepsy.
c. The patient may benefit from treatment with hemp extract.
(2) Repealed by Session Laws 2015-154, s. 3, effective July 16, 2015.
(3) Database. - The Intractable Epilepsy Alternative Treatment database, established by the Department of Health and Human Services pursuant to this Article.
(4) Department. - The Department of Health and Human Services.
(5) Hemp Extract. - An extract from a cannabis plant, as defined in G.S. 90-94.1(a).
(6) Intractable Epilepsy. - A seizure disorder that, as determined by a neurologist, does not respond to three or more treatment options overseen by the neurologist.
(7) Neurologist. - An individual who is licensed under Article 1 of Chapter 90 of the General Statutes, who is board certified in neurology, and is affiliated with the neurology department at one or more hospitals licensed in this State.
(8) Patient. - A person who has been diagnosed by a neurologist with intractable epilepsy.
(9) Repealed by Session Laws 2015-154, s. 3, effective July 16, 2015. (2014-53, s. 2; 2015-154, s. 3; 2015-264, ss. 14(a), 48.5.)