§ 86A-5. Powers and duties of the Board.
(a) The Board has the following powers and duties:
(1) To see that inspections of barbershops and schools are conducted to determine compliance with sanitary regulations. The Board may appoint inspectors as necessary.
(2) To adopt sanitary regulations concerning barber schools and shops and procedural rules in accordance with the guidelines established in G.S. 86A-15.
(3) To review the barber licensing laws of other states and to determine which are the substantive equivalent of the laws of North Carolina for purposes of G.S. 86A-12.
(4) To conduct examinations of applicants for certificate of registration as registered barber, registered apprentice and barber school instructor.
(5) To employ and fix the compensation of personnel that the Board deems necessary to carry out the provisions of this Chapter.
(6) To assess civil penalties pursuant to G.S. 86A-27.
(b) The Board shall adopt regulations:
(1) Prohibiting the use of commercial chemicals of unknown content by persons registered under this Chapter. For purposes of this section, "commercial chemicals" are those products sold only through beauty and barber supply houses and not available to the general public;
(2) Instructing persons registered under this Chapter in the proper use and application of commercial chemicals where no manufacturer's instructions are included. In the alternative, the Board shall prohibit the use of such commercial chemicals by persons registered under this Chapter.
(c) Each Board member shall submit periodic reports to the Board concerning his activities in carrying out duties as a Board member. (1929, c. 119, ss. 10, 12, 16; 1931, c. 32; 1933, c. 95, s. 2; 1941, c. 375, ss. 5, 7; 1945, c. 830, s. 8; 1947, c. 1024; 1961, c. 577, ss. 2, 3, 5; 1973, c. 1331, s. 3; 1979, c. 695, s. 1; 1981, c. 457, ss. 3, 4; 2004-146, s. 2.)