The following words and phrases as used in this Chapter, unless a different meaning is plainly required by the context, shall have the following meanings:
(1) Adjustment. - "Adjustment" is an act involving the tightening or loosening, or lengthening or shortening, or movement, of any part of a weighing or measuring device, or the coordination of mechanical action of parts or electronic components with or upon each other, so as to make the weighing or measuring device give correct indications of applied weight or measure values within legal tolerance, and the correctness of indications shall be determined by test provided for under definition of the term "service" as defined in this Chapter.
(2) Authorized Agent. - An "authorized agent" is any employee of the North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services designated by the Commissioner to enforce any provisions of this Chapter and who is designated by an official identification card issued by the Commissioner.
(3) Barrel. - The term "barrel," when used in connection with beer, ale, porter, and other similar fermented liquor is a unit of 31 liquid gallons; fractional parts of a barrel shall be understood to mean like fractional parts of 31 gallons.
(4) Bulk Sale. - The term "bulk sale" is the sale of commodities when the quantity is determined at the time of sale.
(5) Bushel. - The term "bushel" when used in connection with dry measure and standard containers is a unit of 2150.42 cubic inches, of which the dry quart and dry pint, respectively, are the one-thirty-second and one-sixty-fourth parts.
(6) Commissioner of Agriculture. - "Commissioner" is the Commissioner of Agriculture of the State of North Carolina.
(7) Condemned Equipment. - "Condemned equipment" is equipment that is permanently out of service.
(8) Cord. - "Cord" when used in connection with purchases of wood is a quantity of wood consisting of any number of sticks, bolts or pieces laid parallel and together so as to form a rick or stack occupying a space four feet wide, four feet high and eight feet long, or such other dimensions that will when multiplied together equal 128 cubic feet by volume, construed as being seventy percent (70%) solid and thirty percent (30%) air space or 90 solid cubic feet.
(9) Correct. - "Correct" is conformance to all applicable requirements of this Chapter.
(10) Flour. - "Flour" is any finely ground product of wheat, or other grain, corn, peas, beans, seed or other substance, with or without added ingredients, intended for use as food for man.
(11) Gallon. - "Gallon" when used in connection with liquid measure is a unit of 231 cubic inches, of which the liquid quart, liquid pint and gill are, respectively, the quarter, the one-eighth and the one-thirty-second parts.
(12) Installation. - "Installation" is an act involving the erection, or building, or assembling of parts, or the placing or setting up of a weighing or measuring device so as to give correct indications of applied weight or measure values within legal tolerance when used for the purpose intended, and the correctness of indications shall be determined by test provided for under definition of the term "service" as defined in this Chapter.
(13) Maintenance. - "Maintenance" is an act pursuant to the retention of a weighing or measuring device in such working condition as to give correct applied weight or measure value indications within legal tolerance when used as intended, which may involve either or both adjustment or repair before or after inaccuracy develops in fact, and the correctness of indications shall be determined by test provided for under the term "service" as defined in this Chapter.
(14) Meal. - "Meal" is any product of grain, corn, peas, beans, seed or other substance coarsely ground, with or without added ingredients, either bolted, or unbolted, including grits and hominy, intended for use as food for man.
(15) Package. - "Package" is any commodity put up or packaged in any manner in advance of sale in units suitable for either wholesale or retail sale.
(16) Person. - "Person" is both plural and singular, as the case demands, and includes individuals, partnerships, corporations, companies, firms, societies, and associations.
(17) Pound. - "Pound," used in connection with weight is the avoirdupois pound as declared by act of the United States Congress, except in those cases where it is common practice to use the "troy" pound or "apothecaries" pound, and the "ounce" is one-sixteenth part of an avoirdupois pound.
(18) Primary Standards. - "Primary standards" are the physical standards of the State which serve as the legal reference from which all other standards, weights and measures are derived.
(19) Rejected Equipment. - "Rejected equipment" is equipment that is incorrect, which is considered susceptible of proper repair.
(20) Repair. - "Repair" is an act involving the replacement or mending of a broken or nonadjustable part or parts and the restoration of a weighing or measuring device to such working condition as to give correct indications of applied weight or measure values within legal tolerance when used for the purpose intended, and the correctness of indications shall be determined by test provided for under the term "service" as defined in this Chapter.
(21) Sale or Sell. - "Sale" or "sell" is the ordinary meaning of said words and includes barter and exchange.
(22) Scale Technician. - A "scale technician" is any person who, for hire or award, renders service involving adjustment, installation, repair, or maintenance of a scale or weighing device, either used or intended to be used in determining weight value, or values, by either physical act, instruction, or supervision.
(23) Secondary Standards. - "Secondary standards" are the physical standards which are traceable to the primary standards through comparisons, using acceptable laboratory procedures, and used in the enforcement of weights and measures laws and regulations.
(24) Service. - "Service" is activity involving adjustment, installation, repair, or maintenance or a combination of two or more of these activities with respect to a weighing or measuring device.
(25) Ton. - "Ton" is a unit of 2,000 pounds, avoirdupois weight.
(26) Weight. - "Weight" when used in connection with any commodity is net weight; provided, however, where the label declares that the product is sold by drained weight, weight means net drained weight.
(27) Weight(s) and (or) Measure(s). - "Weight(s) and (or) measure(s)" are all weights and measures of every kind, instruments, and devices for weighing and measuring, and any appliance and accessories associated with any or all such instruments and devices. (1927, c. 261, ss. 20, 21; 1941, c. 237, s. 2; 1945, c. 280, s. 1; 1947, c. 380; 1975, c. 544; 1991, c. 636, s. 23; 1997-261, s. 7.)