§ 7A-474.18. Eligible activities and limitations.
(a) Eligible Activities. - Funds appropriated under this Article shall be used only for the following purposes:
(1) To provide legal assistance to domestic violence victims.
(2) To provide education to domestic violence victims regarding their rights and duties under the law.
(3) To involve the private bar in the representation of domestic violence victims pursuant to this Article.
(b) Eligible Cases. - The funds shall be prioritized by each legal services program to serve the greatest number of eligible clients, with emphasis placed on representation of clients needing legal assistance with proceedings pursuant to Chapter 50B of the General Statutes. Legal assistance shall be provided to eligible clients under this Article only in the following types of cases:
(1) Actions for protective orders issued pursuant to Chapter 50B of the General Statutes;
(2) Child custody and visitation issues; and
(3) Legal services which ensure the safety of the client and the client's children.
(c) Limitations. - No funds appropriated under this Article shall be used for any of the following purposes:
(1) To provide legal assistance with respect to any criminal proceeding; or
(2) To provide legal assistance to any prisoner within the Division of Adult Correction and Juvenile Justice of the Department of Public Safety with regard to the terms of that person's incarceration. (2004-186, s. 4.1; 2011-145, s. 19.1(h); 2012-83, s. 16; 2017-186, s. 2(h).)