§ 62-289.3. Definitions.
The following definitions apply in this Article:
(1) Human service agency. - Any charitable or governmental agency including, but not limited to: county departments of social services, area mental health, developmental disabilities, and substance abuse authorities, local health departments, councils on aging, community action agencies, sheltered workshops, group homes, and State residential institutions.
(2) Human service transportation. - Motor vehicle transportation provided on a nonprofit basis by a human service agency for the purpose of transporting clients or recipients in connection with programs sponsored by the agency. "Human service transportation" also means motor vehicle transportation provided by for-profit persons under exclusive contract with a human service agency for the transportation of clients or recipients, and such provider shall also qualify as a human service agency for the purpose of motor vehicle registration during the term of the contract. The motor vehicle may be owned, leased, borrowed, or contracted for use by or from the human service agency.
(3) Nonprofit. - As applied to human service transportation, means motor vehicle transportation provided at cost.
(4) Person. - An individual, corporation, company, association, partnership, or other legal entity.
(5) Volunteer transportation. - Motor vehicle transportation provided by any person under the direction, sponsorship, or supervision of a human service agency. The person may receive an allowance to defray the actual cost of operating the vehicle but shall not receive any other compensation. (1981, c. 792, s. 1; 1987, c. 407; 2018-47, s. 6(b).)