Part 2. Assumption Reinsurance.
§ 58-10-20. Scope.
(a) This Part applies to any licensed insurer that either assumes or transfers the obligations or risks on policies under an assumption reinsurance agreement that is entered into on or after January 1, 1996.
(b) This Part does not apply to:
(1) Any reinsurance agreement or transaction in which the ceding insurer continues to remain directly liable for its insurance obligations or risks under the policies subject to the reinsurance agreement.
(2) The substitution of one insurer for another upon the expiration of insurance coverage under statutory or contractual requirements and the issuance of a new policy by another insurer.
(3) The transfer of policies under mergers or consolidations of two or more insurers to the extent that those transactions are regulated by statute.
(4) Except as provided in G.S. 58-10-45, any insurer subject to a judicial order of liquidation or rehabilitation.
(5) Any reinsurance agreement or transaction to which a state insurance guaranty association is a party, provided that policyholders do not lose any rights or claims afforded under their original policies under Articles 48 or 62 of this Chapter.
(6) The transfer of liabilities from one insurer to another under a single group policy upon the request of the group policyholder. (1995, c. 318, s. 1; 2004-199, s. 20(b).)