§ 25-9-523. Information from filing office.
(a) Acknowledgment of filing written record. - If a person that files a written record requests an acknowledgment of the filing, the filing office shall send to the person an image of the record showing the number assigned to the record pursuant to G.S. 25-9-519(a)(1) and the date and time of the filing of the record. However, if the person furnishes a copy of the record to the filing office, the filing office may instead:
(1) Note upon the copy the number assigned to the record pursuant to G.S. 25-9-519(a)(1) and the date and time of the filing of the record; and
(2) Send the copy to the person.
(b) Acknowledgment of filing other record. - If a person files a record other than a written record, the filing office shall communicate to the person an acknowledgment that provides:
(1) The information in the record;
(2) The number assigned to the record pursuant to G.S. 25-9-519(a)(1); and
(3) The date and time of the filing of the record.
(c) Communication of requested information. - Except as otherwise provided in subsection (g) of this section, the filing office shall communicate or otherwise make available in a record, for which it shall not be liable, the following information to any person that requests it:
(1) Whether there is on file on a date and time specified by the filing office, but not a date earlier than three business days before the filing office receives the request, any financing statement that:
a. Designates a particular debtor;
b. Has not lapsed under G.S. 25-9-515 with respect to all secured parties of record; and
c. If the request so states, has lapsed under G.S. 25-9-515 and a record of which is maintained by the filing office under G.S. 25-9-522(a);
(2) The date and time of filing of each financing statement; and
(3) The information provided in each financing statement.
(d) Medium for communicating information. - In complying with its duty under subsection (c) of this section, the filing office may communicate information in any medium. However, if requested, the filing office shall communicate information by issuing a record that can be admitted into evidence in the courts of this State without extrinsic evidence of its authenticity.
(e) Timeliness of filing office performance. - The filing office shall perform the acts required by subsections (a) through (d) of this section at the time and in the manner prescribed by filing-office rule, but after January 1, 2003, for a filing office described in G.S. 25-9-501(a)(2), not later than three business days after the filing office receives the request.
(g) Inapplicability to real-property-related filing office. - Subsection (c) of this section does not apply to a filing office described in G.S. 25-9-501(a)(1) with respect to financing statements filed on or after the effective date of this act. (1965, c. 700, s. 1; 1967, c. 562, s. 1; 1973, c. 1316, s. 7; 1975, c. 862, s. 7; 1983, c. 713, ss. 27, 28; 1987, c. 792, s. 10; 1997-456, s. 55.3; 1997-475, s. 5.7; 2000-169, s. 1(d).)