§ 20-4.2. Definitions.
As used in this Article:
(1) "Commercial vehicle" means any vehicle which is operated in furtherance of any commercial enterprise.
(2) "Commissioner" means the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles of North Carolina.
(3) "Division" means the Division of Motor Vehicles of North Carolina.
(4) "Jurisdiction" means and includes a state, district, territory or possession of the United States, a foreign country and a state or province of a foreign country.
(5) "Properly registered," as applied to place of registration, means:
a. The jurisdiction where the person registering the vehicle has his legal residence, or
b. In the case of a commercial vehicle, including a leased vehicle, the jurisdiction in which it is registered if the commercial enterprise in which such vehicle is used has a place of business therein, and, if the vehicle is most frequently dispatched, garaged, serviced, maintained, operated or otherwise controlled in or from such place of business, and, the vehicle has been assigned to such place of business, or
c. In the case of a commercial vehicle, including leased vehicles, the jurisdiction where, because of an agreement or arrangement between two or more jurisdictions, or pursuant to a declaration, the vehicle has been registered as required by said jurisdiction.
d. In case of doubt or dispute as to the proper place of registration of a vehicle, the Division shall make the final determination, but in making such determination, may confer with departments of the other jurisdictions affected. (1961, c. 642, s. 1; 1975, c. 716, s. 5; 1979, c. 470, s. 2.)