Transportation Network Companies.
§ 20-280.1. Definitions.
The following definitions apply in this Article:
(1) Airport operator. - Any person with police powers that owns or operates an airport.
(2) Brokering transportation network company. - A transportation network company, as defined by this section, that exclusively dispatches TNC drivers that operate either of the following:
a. For-hire passenger vehicles regulated under G.S. 160A-304.
b. For-hire passenger vehicles regulated under G.S. 62-260(f) and subject to the requirements for security for protection of the public and safety of operation established for regulated motor common carriers.
(3) Prearranged transportation services. - Transportation services available by advance request excluding for-hire passenger vehicles soliciting passengers for immediate transportation. No minimum waiting period is required between the advance request and the provision of the transportation services.
(4) TNC driver. - An individual that uses a passenger vehicle in connection with a transportation network company's online-enabled application or platform to connect with passengers in exchange for payment of a fee to the transportation network company.
(5) TNC service. - Prearranged transportation service provided by a TNC driver in connection with a transportation network company. The TNC service begins when the TNC driver accepts a ride request on the transportation network company's online-enabled application or platform and ends at the later of the following:
a. The time that the driver completes the transaction on the online-enabled application or platform.
b. The time that all passengers exit the vehicle and complete unloading of the vehicle.
(6) Transportation network company (TNC). - Any person that uses an online-enabled application or platform to connect passengers with TNC drivers who provide prearranged transportation services. (2015-237, s. 1.)