§ 18C-162. Allocation of revenues.
(a) The Commission shall allocate revenues to the North Carolina State Lottery Fund in order to increase and maximize the available revenues for education purposes, and to the extent practicable, shall adhere to the following guidelines:
(1) At least fifty percent (50%) of the total annual revenues, as described in this Chapter, shall be returned to the public in the form of prizes.
(2) At least thirty-five percent (35%) of the total annual revenues, as described in this Chapter, shall be transferred as provided in G.S. 18C-164.
(3) No more than eight percent (8%) of the total annual revenues, as described in this Chapter, shall be allocated for payment of expenses of the Lottery. Advertising expenses shall not exceed one percent (1%) of the total annual revenues.
(4) No more than seven percent (7%) of the face value of tickets or shares, as described in this Chapter, shall be allocated for compensation paid to lottery game retailers.
(b) To the extent that the expenses of the Commission are less than eight percent (8%) of total annual revenues, the Commission may allocate any surplus funds:
(1) To increase prize payments; or
(2) To the benefit of the public purposes as described in this Chapter.
(c) Unclaimed prize money shall be held separate and apart from the other revenues and allocated as follows:
(1) Fifty percent (50%) to enhance prizes under subdivision (a)(1) of this section.
(2) Fifty percent (50%) to the Education Lottery Fund to be allocated in accordance with G.S. 18C-164(c). (2005-344, s. 1; 2005-276, s. 31.1(r); 2007-323, s. 5.2(c); 2009-357, s. 12.)