§ 162A-73.  Authority of governing bodies of political subdivisions.

The governing body of any political subdivision is hereby authorized and empowered:

(1)        Subject to the approval of the Local Government Commission, to  transfer jurisdiction over, and to lease, lend, sell, grant or convey to a district, upon such terms and conditions as the governing body of such political subdivision may agree upon with the district board, the whole or any part of any existing sewerage system or systems or such real or personal property as may be necessary or useful in connection with the acquisition, construction, reconstruction, improvement, extension, enlargement, equipment, repair, maintenance or operation of any sewerage system by the district, including public roads and other property already devoted to public use;

(2)        To make and enter into contracts or agreements with a district, upon such terms and conditions and for such periods as such governing body and the district board may determine:

a.         For the collection, treatment or disposal of sewage;

b.         For the collecting by such political subdivision or by the district of rents, rates, fees or charges for the services and facilities provided to or for such political subdivision or its inhabitants by any sewerage system, and for the enforcement of collection of such rents, rates, fees and charges; and

c.         For the imposition of penalties, including the shutting off of the supply of water furnished by any water system owned or operated by such political subdivision, in the event that the owner, tenant or occupant of any premises utilizing such water shall fail to pay any such rents, rates, fees or charges;

(3)        To fix, and revise from time to time, rents, rates, fees and other charges for the services furnished or to be furnished by a sewerage system under any contract between the district and such political subdivision, and to pledge all or any part of the proceeds of such rents, rates, fees and charges to the payment of any obligation of such political subdivision to the district under such contract;

(4)        To pay any obligation of such political subdivision to the district under such contract from any available funds of the political subdivision and to levy and collect a tax ad valorem for the making of any such payment; and

(5)        In its discretion or if required by law, to submit to its qualified electors under the election laws applicable to such political subdivision any contract or agreement which such governing body is authorized to make and enter into with the district under the provisions of this Article.

                  Any such election upon a contract or agreement may, at the discretion of the governing body, be called and held under the election laws applicable to the issuance of bonds by such political subdivision. (1961, c. 795, s. 23; 1973, c. 822, s. 4.)