162A-4. Withdrawal from authority; joinder of new subdivision.

(a) Whenever an authority has been organized under the provisions of this Chapter, any political subdivision may withdraw therefrom at any time prior to the creation of any obligations by the authority, and any political subdivision not having joined in the original organization may, with the consent of the authority, join the authority; provided, that any political subdivision not having joined the original organization shall have the right upon reasonable terms and conditions, whether the authority shall consent thereto or not, to join the authority if the authority's water system or sewer system, or any part thereof is situated within the boundaries of the political subdivision or of the county within which the political subdivision is located; provided, further, that any political subdivision authorized to join the authority by G.S. 162A-5.1 may do so without the consent of the authority.

(b) Any political subdivision desiring to withdraw from or to join an existing authority shall signify its desire by resolution adopted after a public hearing thereon, notice of which hearing shall be given in the manner and at the time provided in G.S. 162A-3 or 162A-3.1, as appropriate. Such notice shall contain a brief statement of the substance of said resolution and shall state the time and place of the public hearing to be held thereon. In the case of a political subdivision desiring to join the authority, the resolution shall set forth all of the information required under G.S. 162A-3 or 162A-3.1, as appropriate, in connection with the original organization of the authority, including the name and address of the first member of the authority from the joining political subdivision if the authority was organized under G.S. 162A-3.

(c) A certified copy of each such resolution signifying the desire of a political subdivision to withdraw from or to join an existing authority, together with proof of publication of the notice of hearing on each such resolution and, in cases where such resolution provides for the political subdivision joining the authority, certified copies of the resolution of the governing bodies creating the authority consenting to such joining shall be filed with the Secretary of State of North Carolina. If the Secretary of State finds that the resolutions conform to the provisions of this Article and that the notices of hearing were properly published, he shall file such resolutions and proofs of publication in his office and shall issue a certificate of withdrawal, or a certificate of joinder, as the case may be, and shall record the same in an appropriate book of record in his office. The withdrawal or joining shall become effective upon the issuance of such certificate, and such certificate shall be conclusive evidence thereof. (1955, c. 1195, s. 4; 1969, c. 850; 1971, c. 892, s. 1; c. 1093, s. 6; 1975, c. 224, s. 2; 1995, c. 207, s. 2; c. 509, s. 135.2(c).)