§ 159D-37. Definitions.
As used or referred to in this Article, the following words and terms have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
(1) "Agency" means the North Carolina Capital Facilities Finance Agency or, should this agency be abolished or otherwise divested of its functions under this Article, the public body succeeding it in its principal functions, or upon which are conferred by law the rights, powers and duties given by this Article to the agency.
(1a) "Bonds" or "notes" means the revenue bonds or bond anticipation notes, respectively, authorized to be issued by the agency under this Article, including revenue refunding bonds, notwithstanding that they may be secured by a deed of trust or the full faith and credit of a participating institution or any other lawfully pledged security of a participating institution.
(2) "Cost", as applied to any project or any portion of a project financed under the provisions of this Article, means all or any part of the cost of construction, acquisition, alteration, enlargement, reconstruction and remodeling of a project, including all lands, structures, real or personal property, rights, rights-of-way, franchises, easements and interests acquired or used for or in connection with a project, the cost of demolishing or removing any buildings or structures on land so acquired, including the cost of acquiring any lands to which such buildings or structures may be moved, the cost of all machinery and equipment, financing charges, interest prior to and during construction and, if deemed advisable by the agency, for a period not exceeding two years after the estimated date of completion of construction, the cost of engineering and architectural surveys, plans and specifications, the cost of consulting and legal services and other expenses necessary or incident to determining the feasibility or practicability of constructing or equipping a project, the cost of administrative and other expenses necessary or incident to the construction or acquisition of a project and the financing of the construction or acquisition thereof, including reasonable provision for working capital and a reserve for debt service, and the cost of reimbursing any participating institution for any payments made for any cost described above or the refinancing of any cost described above, including any evidence of indebtedness incurred to finance such cost; provided, however, that no payment shall be reimbursed or any cost or indebtedness be refinanced if such payment was made or such cost or indebtedness was incurred before November 25, 1981.
(3), (4) Repealed by Session Laws 2000, c. 179. s. 2, effective July 1, 2000.
(4a) "Institution for elementary and secondary education" means a nonprofit institution within the State of North Carolina authorized by law and engaged or to be engaged in the providing of kindergarten, elementary, or secondary education, or any combination of these.
(5) "Institution for higher education" means a nonprofit private educational institution within the State of North Carolina authorized by law to provide a program of education beyond the high school level.
(6) "Participating institution" means an institution for higher education, an institution for elementary and secondary education, or a special purpose institution that, pursuant to the provisions of this Article, undertakes the financing, refinancing, acquiring, constructing, equipping, providing, owning, repairing, maintaining, extending, improving, rehabilitating, renovating, or furnishing of a project or undertakes the refunding or refinancing of obligations or of a deed of trust or a mortgage or of advances as provided in this Article.
(6a) "Project" means any one or more buildings, structures, equipment, improvements, additions, extensions, enlargements, or other facilities comprising any of the following:
a. Educational facilities used by an institution for higher education or an institution for elementary and secondary education, including dormitories and other housing facilities, housing facilities for student nurses, dining halls and other food preparation and food service facilities, student unions, administration buildings, academic buildings, libraries, laboratories, research facilities, classrooms, athletic facilities, health care facilities, laundry facilities, and other structures or facilities related to these facilities or required or useful for the instruction of students, the conducting of research, or the operation of the institution.
b. Student housing facilities to be owned or operated by an owner or operator other than an institution for higher education or an institution for elementary and secondary education.
c. A special purpose project as defined in G.S. 159C-3.
The term "project" includes landscaping, site preparation, furniture, equipment and machinery, and other similar items necessary or convenient for operation of a particular facility in the manner for which its use is intended. The term also includes all appurtenances and incidental facilities, such as headquarters or office facilities, maintenance, storage, or utility facilities, parking facilities, and other facilities related to, required, or useful for the operation of the project or essential or convenient for the orderly conduct of the facility. The term "project" does not include the cost of items that customarily result in a current operating charge, such as books, fuel, or supplies. The term does not include any facility used or to be used for sectarian instruction or as a place of religious worship nor any facility that is used or to be used primarily in connection with any part of the program of a school or department of divinity for any religious denomination.
(6b) "Special purpose institution" means a for-profit or not-for-profit corporation or similar entity that undertakes any of the activities set forth in sub-subdivisions (6a)b. and (6a)c. of this section.
(7) "State" means the State of North Carolina. (1985 (Reg. Sess., 1986), c. 794, s. 3; 1998-124, s. 4; 2000-179, s. 2; 2007-128, s. 2.)