Unless otherwise clearly required by the context, the words and phrases defined in this section have the meanings indicated when used in this Part:
(1) "Commission" means the Social Services Commission.
(2) "Secretary" means the Secretary of Health and Human Services.
(3) "Department" means the Department of Health and Human Services.
(4) "Governing body" means the governing body of a county or city or the policy-making body for a district or regional confinement facility.
(5) "Local confinement facility" includes a county or city jail, a local lockup, a regional or district jail, a juvenile detention facility, a detention facility for adults operated by a local government, and any other facility operated by a local government for confinement of persons awaiting trial or serving sentences except that it shall not include a county satellite jail/work release unit governed by Part 3 of Article 10 of Chapter 153A.
(6) "Prisoner" includes any person, adult or juvenile, confined or detained in a confinement facility.
(7) "Unit," "unit of local government," or "local government" means a county or city. (1967, c. 581, s. 2; 1969, c. 981, s. 1; 1973, c. 476, s. 138; c. 822, s. 1; 1987, c. 207, s. 2; 1997-443, s. 11A.118(a); 1998-202, s. 4(cc).)