§ 143C-8-13. Repairs and Renovations.
(a) Use of Funds. - Except as otherwise provided for in this section, funds for repairs and renovations shall be available for expenditure only upon an act of appropriation by the General Assembly. Funds appropriated for repairs and renovations shall be used only for State facilities and related infrastructure that are supported from the General Fund or the State Capital and Infrastructure Fund and for Department of Information Technology facilities and related infrastructure. Funds appropriated for repairs and renovations projects shall not be used for new construction or the expansion of the building area (sq. ft.) of an existing facility unless required in order to comply with federal or State codes or standards. Allowable projects include any of the following:
(1) Roof repairs and replacements.
(2) Structural repairs.
(3) Repairs and renovations to meet federal and State standards.
(4) Repairs to or installation of new electrical, plumbing, and heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning systems.
(5) Improvements to meet the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act, 42 U.S.C. § 12101, et seq., as amended.
(6) Improvements to meet fire safety needs.
(7) Improvements to existing facilities for energy efficiency.
(8) Improvements to remove asbestos, lead paint, and other contaminants, including the removal and replacement of underground storage tanks.
(9) Improvements and renovations to improve use of existing space.
(10) Historical restoration.
(11) Improvements to roads, walks, drives, and utilities infrastructure.
(12) Drainage and landscape improvements.
(13) Building demolition.
(b) Allocation and Reallocation of Funds for Particular Projects. - Any funds that are allocated to the Board of Governors of The University of North Carolina or to the Office of State Budget and Management may be allocated or reallocated at the discretion of those agencies for repairs and renovations projects so long as all of the following conditions are satisfied:
(1) Any project that receives an allocation or reallocation satisfies the requirements of subsection (a) of this section.
(2) The Office of State Budget and Management or the Board of Governors, as appropriate, shall report to the Fiscal Research Division on the initial allocation prior to the expenditure of funds.
(3) On or before August 1 each year, the Office of State Budget and Management or the Board of Governors, as appropriate, shall submit a final report showing the reallocation of funds during the preceding fiscal year to the Joint Legislative Capital Improvements Oversight Committee and the Fiscal Research Division.
(4) If the funds were previously allocated for a repairs and renovations project that was not specifically allocated for by an act of the General Assembly; provided, however, if a project specifically allocated for by the General Assembly has been completed, then funds may be reallocated pursuant to this subsection.
(c) In making campus allocations of funds allocated to the Board of Governors of The University of North Carolina for the purposes described in subsection (a) of this section, the Board of Governors shall negatively weight the availability of non-State resources and carryforward funds available for repairs and renovations and shall include information about the manner in which this subsection was complied with in any report submitted pursuant to this section.
(d) Notwithstanding any provision of G.S. 143C-8-7 to the contrary, the chancellor of a constituent institution of The University of North Carolina may pay for projects for repairs and renovations with funds available to the constituent institution according to the following:
(1) The project meets all of the following requirements:
a. The total project costs do not exceed six hundred thousand dollars ($600,000).
b. The project is one of the types set forth in subdivisions (1) through (13) of subsection (a) of this section, regardless of whether the relevant facilities and related infrastructure are supported from the General Fund or the State Capital and Infrastructure Fund.
(2) The constituent institution reports on projects undertaken pursuant to this subsection to the Board of Governors of The University of North Carolina and the Fiscal Research Division on a quarterly basis. The report shall include all of the following information for each project:
a. The facility at which the project is being undertaken.
b. The nature and scope of the project.
c. The source of funds for the project.
d. The category of projects set forth in subsection (a) of this section that the project falls within.
(3) Any funds from a General Fund appropriation that are contractually obligated for a project pursuant to this subsection shall not revert at the end of the fiscal year but shall remain available to fund the completion of the project. (2017-57, s. 36.12(c); 2020-81, s. 4(a); 2021-180, s. 40.10(b).)