§ 143C-4-3.1. State Capital and Infrastructure Fund.
(a) Legislative Intent. - The General Assembly recognizes the need to establish and maintain a sufficient funding source to address the ongoing capital and infrastructure needs of the State. The General Assembly further recognizes the need to protect the State's substantial improvements in existing public facilities while providing a stable funding source to pay for new facilities to meet the needs of a growing population.
(b) Creation and Source of Funds. - There is established in the General Fund the State Capital and Infrastructure Fund, hereinafter referred to as the "Fund." The Fund shall be maintained as a special fund and administered by the Office of State Budget and Management to carry out the provisions of this section. With the exception of debt service obligations, appropriations from the Fund may be administered by other State agencies as deemed necessary by the Office of State Budget and Management. Interest accruing from the monies in the Fund shall be credited to the Fund. The Fund shall consist of the following sources of funding:
(1) One-fourth of any unreserved fund balance, as determined on a cash basis, remaining in the General Fund at the end of each fiscal year.
(2) Four percent (4%) of the net State tax revenues that are deposited in the General Fund during the fiscal year.
(3) All monies appropriated by the General Assembly for the purposes of capital improvements, as defined in G.S. 143C-1-1(d).
(4) All interest and investment earnings received on monies in the Fund.
(5) Any other funds, as directed by the General Assembly.
(c) Funding Requirements. - Each Current Operations Appropriations Act enacted by the General Assembly shall include (i) a transfer to the Fund of four percent (4%) of each fiscal year's estimated net State tax revenues that are deposited in the General Fund and (ii) one-fourth of the General Fund unreserved fund balance, as determined on a cash basis, at the end of each fiscal year.
(d) Transfer of Funds to the Fund. - Each fiscal year, the Office of State Controller shall transfer to the Fund the estimated amounts required pursuant to subsection (c) of this section. Each fiscal year, the Office of State Controller shall transfer to the Fund one-fourth of the General Fund unreserved fund balance, as determined on a cash basis, at the end of the fiscal year.
(e) Use of Funds. - Monies in the Fund shall first be used to meet the debt service obligations of the State. In addition to meeting the State's debt service obligations, monies in the Fund may be used for the following purposes:
(1) New State and The University of North Carolina capital projects governed pursuant to Article 8 of Chapter 143C of the General Statutes.
(2) Repair and renovation of existing capital assets, as provided in G.S. 143C-8-13.
(f) Funds Available Only Upon Appropriation. - Funds reserved to the Fund shall be available for expenditure only upon an act of appropriation by the General Assembly. (2017-57, s. 36.12(b); 2018-5, s. 36.8(a).)