§ 143B-293.6. North Carolina Oil and Gas Commission - quasi-judicial powers; procedures.
(a) With respect to those matters within its jurisdiction, the Oil and Gas Commission shall exercise quasi-judicial powers in accordance with the provisions of Chapter 150B of the General Statutes.
(b) The chair shall appoint a Committee on Civil Penalty Remissions from the members of the Commission. No member of the Committee on Civil Penalty Remissions may hear or vote on any matter in which the member has an economic interest. In determining whether a remission request will be approved, the Committee shall consider the recommendation of the Secretary or the Secretary's designee and all of the following factors:
(1) Whether one or more of the civil penalty assessment factors in subsection (b) of this section were wrongly applied to the detriment of the petitioner.
(2) Whether the violator promptly abated continuing environmental damage resulting from the violation.
(3) Whether the violation was inadvertent or a result of an accident.
(4) Whether the violator had been assessed civil penalties for any previous violations.
(5) Whether payment of the civil penalty will prevent payment for the remaining necessary remedial actions.
(c) The Committee on Civil Penalty Remissions may remit the entire amount of the penalty only when the violator has not been assessed civil penalties for previous violations and when payment of the civil penalty will prevent payment for the remaining necessary remedial actions. (2012-143, s. 1(b); 2014-4, s. 4(a).)