Part 14A. Older Adults.
§ 143B-181.3. Older adults - findings; policy.
(a) The North Carolina General Assembly finds the following:
(1) Older adults should be able to live as independently as possible, and to live free from abuse, neglect, and exploitation.
(2) Older adults should have opportunities to be involved in their communities in ways they desire.
(3) Preventive and primary health care are necessary to assure optimal health and to enable active social and civic engagement by older adults.
(4) Sufficient opportunities for training in gerontology and geriatrics should be developed and readily available for individuals serving older adults.
(5) Older adults should have access to a broad range of services, supports, and opportunities, and they should have transportation options available to allow access to these services and to meet their daily needs and interests.
(6) Services for older adults should be person-centered and coordinated so that an individual's needs can be met efficiently, effectively, and in the least restrictive environment.
(7) Information should be readily available in each county on all programs and services for older adults.
(8) Older adults should have adequate opportunities for employment.
(9) Each county should have available a variety of housing options, including retirement housing, accessible affordable rental housing, and opportunities for residential home modifications, in order to allow older adults to remain in their communities.
(10) Older adults and their caregivers should have input in the planning and evaluation of programs and services for older adults, and they should have opportunities to advocate for these programs and services.
(11) The State should assist older adults who desire to remain as independent as possible and should encourage and support families in caring for their older members.
(b) It is the policy of the State to effectively utilize its resources to support and enhance the quality of life for older adults in North Carolina. (1979, c. 983, s. 1; 2010-66, s. 1.)