§ 143B-135.94. Definitions.
Except as otherwise required by context, the following terms when used in this Part shall be construed respectively to mean:
(1) "Department" means the North Carolina Department of Natural and Cultural Resources.
(2) "Political subdivision" means any county, any incorporated city or town, or other political subdivision.
(3) "Scenic easement" means a perpetual easement in land which
a. Is held for the benefit of the people of North Carolina,
b. Is specifically enforceable by its holder or beneficiary, and
c. Limits or obligates the holder of the servient estate, his heirs, and assigns with respect to their use and management of land and activities conducted thereon, the object of such limitations and obligations being the maintenance or enhancement of the natural beauty of the land in question or of areas affected by it.
(4) "Secretary" means the Secretary of Natural and Cultural Resources, except as otherwise specified in this Part.
(5) "State Trails System" means the trails system established in this Part or pursuant to the State Parks Act, Part 32 of this Article, and including all trails and trail segments, together with their rights-of-way, added by any of the procedures described in this Part or Part 32 of this Article.
(6) "Trail" means a linear corridor on land or water, protected from motor vehicles, providing public access for recreation or transportation.
(7) "Trails Committee" means the North Carolina Trails Committee established by Part 35 of this Article. (1973, c. 670, s. 1; 1977, c. 771, s. 4; 1989, c. 727, s. 218(63); 1989 (Reg. Sess., 1990), c. 1004, s. 19(b); 1993, c. 184, s. 2; 1997-443, s. 11A.119(a); 2015-241, s. 14.30(f), (m); 2019-20, s. 3(c).)