§ 143B-135.214. Powers of Council and Department regarding certain fee negotiations, contracts, and capital improvements.
(a) The exception for the North Carolina Zoological Park set forth in G.S. 143-341(3) shall apply only to projects requiring the estimated expenditure of public money of two million dollars ($2,000,000) or less. The Council and the Department of Natural and Cultural Resources shall, with respect to the design, construction, or renovation of buildings, utilities, and other property developments of the North Carolina Zoological Park that fall below that threshold:
(1) Conduct the fee negotiations for all design contracts and supervise the letting of all construction and design contracts.
(2) Develop procedures governing the responsibilities of the Council and the Department to perform the duties of the Department of Administration under G.S. 133-1.1(d) and G.S. 143-341(3).
(3) Use existing plans and specifications for construction projects, where feasible. Prior to designing a project, the Council and the Department shall consult with the Department of Administration on the availability of existing plans and specifications and the feasibility of using them for a project.
(b) The Council and Department shall use the standard contracts for design and construction currently in use for State capital improvement projects by the Office of State Construction of the Department of Administration.
(c) A contract may not be divided for the purpose of evading the monetary limit under this section.
(d) Notwithstanding any other provision of this Chapter, the Department of Administration shall not be the awarding authority for contracts awarded pursuant to this section.
(e) This section shall not exempt any capital improvement project from review and approval as may be required by law by the entity having jurisdiction over the subject property.
(f) The Department shall annually report to the State Building Commission the following:
(1) A list of projects governed by this section.
(2) The estimated cost of each project along with the actual cost.
(3) The name of each person awarded a contract under this section.
(4) Whether the person or business awarded a contract under this section meets the definition of "minority business" or "minority person" as defined in G.S. 143-128.2(g).
(g) Unless clearly indicated otherwise, nothing in this section is intended to relieve the Department or the Council from the obligations imposed by Article 3 of Chapter 143 of the General Statutes. (2017-57, s. 36.8(b).)