§ 143B-135.209. North Carolina Zoo Fund.
(a) Fund. - The North Carolina Zoo Fund is created as a special fund. The North Carolina Zoo Fund shall be used for the following types of projects at the North Carolina Zoological Park and to match private funds raised for these types of projects:
(1) Repair, renovation, expansion, maintenance, and educational exhibit construction. Funds used for repair, renovation, and expansion projects may be transferred to a capital projects fund to account for use of the funds for each project.
(2) Renovations of exhibits in habitat clusters, visitor services facilities, and support facilities (including greenhouses and temporary animal holding areas).
(3) The acquisition, maintenance, or replacement of tram equipment as required to maintain adequate service to the public.
(b) Disposition of Receipts. - All receipts derived from the collection of admissions charges and other fees, the lease or rental of property or facilities, and the disposition of products of the land or structures shall be credited to the North Carolina Zoological Park's General Fund operating budget. At the end of each fiscal year, the Secretary may transfer from the North Carolina Zoological Park's General Fund operating budget to the North Carolina Zoo Fund an amount not to exceed the sum of one million five hundred thousand dollars ($1,500,000) and any donations, gifts, and devises received by the North Carolina Zoological Park.
(c) Approval. - The Secretary may approve the use of the North Carolina Zoo Fund for repair and renovation projects at the North Carolina Zoological Park recommended by the Council that comply with the following:
(1) The total project cost is less than three hundred thousand dollars ($300,000).
(2) The project meets the requirements of G.S. 143C-8-13(a).
(3) The project is paid for from funds appropriated to the Fund.
(4) The project does not obligate the State to provide increased recurring funding for operations.
(d) Report. - The Department shall submit to the Joint Legislative Oversight Committee on Agriculture and Natural and Economic Resources and the Fiscal Research Division by September 30 of each year a report on the North Carolina Zoo Fund that shall include the source and amounts of all funds credited to the Fund and the purpose and amount of all expenditures from the Fund during the prior fiscal year. (1989, c. 752, s. 154; 1995, c. 324, s. 26.11; 1997-443, s. 11A.119(a); 2000-140, s. 93.1(a); 2001-424, s. 12.2(b); 2005-386, s. 5; 2010-142, s. 4; 2015-241, ss. 14.30(i), (p); 2016-94, s. 16.6(a); 2017-57, ss. 14.3(i), 36.12(f).)