§ 143B-135.150. Criteria for system.
For the inclusion of any river or segment of river in the natural and scenic river system, the following criteria must be present:
(1) River segment length - must be no less than one mile.
(2) Boundaries - of the system shall be the visual horizon or such distance from each shoreline as may be determined to be necessary by the Secretary, but shall not be less than 20 feet.
(3) Water quality - shall not be less than that required for Class "C" waters as established by the North Carolina Environmental Management Commission.
(4) Water flow - shall be sufficient to assure a continuous flow and shall not be subjected to withdrawal or regulation to the extent of substantially altering the natural ecology of the stream.
(5) Public access - shall be limited, but may be permitted to the extent deemed proper by the Secretary, and in keeping with the property interest acquired by the Department and the purpose of this Part. (1971, c. 1167, s. 2; 1973, c. 1262, ss. 23, 86; 1989, c. 654, s. 1; 2015-241, ss. 14.30(f), (m).)