Part 2. Energy Saving Measures for Governmental Units.
§ 143-64.17. Definitions.
As used in this Part:
(1) "Energy conservation measure" means a facility or meter alteration, training, or services related to the operation of the facility or meter, when the alteration, training, or services provide anticipated energy savings or capture lost revenue. Energy conservation measure includes any of the following:
a. Insulation of the building structure and systems within the building.
b. Storm windows or doors, caulking, weatherstripping, multiglazed windows or doors, heat-absorbing or heat-reflective glazed or coated window or door systems, additional glazing, reductions in glass area, or other window or door system modifications that reduce energy consumption.
c. Automatic energy control systems.
d. Heating, ventilating, or air-conditioning system modifications or replacements.
e. Replacement or modification of lighting fixtures to increase the energy efficiency of a lighting system without increasing the overall illumination of a facility, unless an increase in illumination is necessary to conform to the applicable State or local building code or is required by the light system after the proposed modifications are made.
f. Energy recovery systems.
g. Cogeneration systems that produce steam or forms of energy such as heat, as well as electricity, for use primarily within a building or complex of buildings.
h. Repealed by Session Laws 2006-190, s. 2, effective August 3, 2006, and applicable to contracts entered into or renewed on or after that date.
i. Faucets with automatic or metered shut-off valves, leak detection equipment, water meters, water recycling equipment, and wastewater recovery systems.
j. Other energy conservation measures that conserve energy, water, or other utilities.
(2) "Energy savings" means a measured reduction in fuel costs, energy costs, water costs, stormwater fees, other utility costs, or operating costs, including environmental discharge fees, water and sewer maintenance fees, and increased meter accuracy, created from the implementation of one or more energy conservation measures when compared with an established baseline of previous costs, including captured lost revenues, developed by the governmental unit.
(2a) "Governmental unit" means either a local governmental unit or a State governmental unit.
(3) "Guaranteed energy savings contract" means a contract for the evaluation, recommendation, or implementation of energy conservation measures, including the design and installation of equipment or the repair or replacement of existing equipment or meters, in which all payments, except obligations on termination of the contract before its expiration, are to be made over time, and in which energy savings are guaranteed to exceed costs.
(4) "Local governmental unit" means any board or governing body of a political subdivision of the State, including any board of a community college, any school board, or an agency, commission, or authority of a political subdivision of the State.
(5) "Qualified provider" means a person or business experienced in the design, implementation, and installation of energy conservation measures who has been prequalified by the State Energy Office according to the prequalification criteria established by that Office.
(5a) "Qualified reviewer" means an architect or engineer who is (i) licensed in this State and (ii) experienced in the design, implementation, and installation of energy efficiency measures.
(6) "Request for proposals" means a negotiated procurement initiated by a governmental unit by way of a published notice that includes the following:
a. The name and address of the governmental unit.
b. The name, address, title, and telephone number of a contact person in the governmental unit.
c. Notice indicating that the governmental unit is requesting qualified providers to propose energy conservation measures through a guaranteed energy savings contract.
d. The date, time, and place where proposals must be received.
e. The evaluation criteria for assessing the proposals.
f. A statement reserving the right of the governmental unit to reject any or all the proposals.
g. Any other stipulations and clarifications the governmental unit may require.
(7) "State governmental unit" means the State or a department, an agency, a board, or a commission of the State, including the Board of Governors of The University of North Carolina and its constituent institutions. (1993 (Reg. Sess., 1994), c. 775, s. 3; 1995, c. 295, s. 1; 1999-235, ss. 1, 2; 2002-161, s. 2; 2006-190, s. 2; 2013-396, s. 1.)