§ 140-5.15. Director of Museum of Art; appointment; dismissal; powers and duties; staff.
(a) The Director's Committee shall elect and supervise the Director of the North Carolina Museum of Art and may dismiss the Director. The Director's Committee shall evaluate the performance of the Director and shall determine the Director's compensation within the limitations of available funding.
(b) Repealed by Session Laws 2012-120, s. 2(a), effective June 28, 2012.
(b1) The Director's Committee shall consist of five members chosen as follows:
(1) The Secretary of Natural and Cultural Resources, who shall serve as the chairman of the Committee.
(2) The Chair of the Board of Trustees of the North Carolina Museum of Art.
(3) One member designated by the Board of Trustees of the North Carolina Museum of Art.
(4) The President of the Board of Directors of the North Carolina Museum of Art Foundation, Inc., or the President's designee.
(5) One member designated by the Board of the North Carolina Museum of Art Foundation, Inc.
(b2) The members of the Director's Committee selected under subdivisions (b1)(3) and (b1)(5) of this section shall serve terms of four years and may not serve more than two consecutive terms of four years. Four members of the Committee shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business.
(c) The State-funded portion of the salary of the Director shall be fixed by the Governor.
(d) The Director shall have the following powers and duties:
(1) Under the supervision of the Director's Committee, to direct and administer the North Carolina Museum of Art in accordance with the policies, rules, and regulations adopted by the Board of Trustees;
(2) To employ such persons as are necessary to perform the functions of the North Carolina Museum of Art and are provided for in the budget of the Museum and to promote, demote, and dismiss such persons in accordance with State personnel policies, rules, and regulations. This paragraph shall not apply to associate directors and curators;
(3) To serve as director of collections of the North Carolina Museum of Art;
(4) To serve as Secretary to the Board of Trustees.
(e) The Director, associate directors, and curators shall be exempt from the provisions of the North Carolina Human Resources Act. (1961, c. 731; 1973, c. 476, s. 38; 1979, 2nd Sess., c. 1306, s. 1; 1985, c. 122, s. 6; c. 479, s. 218; 1987, c. 827, s. 81; 2006-66, s. 22.22(g); 2006-221, s. 23; 2012-120, s. 2(a); 2012-142, s. 25.1(d); 2013-382, s. 9.1(c); 2015-241, s. 14.30(t); 2019-241, s. 3.)