§ 14-309.6. Definitions.
For purposes of this Part, the term:
(1) "Exempt organization" means an organization that has been in continuous existence in the county of operation of the bingo game for at least one year and that is exempt from taxation under section 501(c)(3), 501(c)(4), 501(c)(8), 501(c)(10), 501(c)(19), or 501(d) of the Internal Revenue Code and is exempt under similar provisions of the General Statutes as a bona fide nonprofit charitable, civic, religious, fraternal, patriotic or veterans' organization or as a nonprofit volunteer fire department, or as a nonprofit volunteer rescue squad or a bona fide homeowners' or property owners' association. (If the organization has local branches or chapters, the term "exempt organization" means the local branch or chapter operating the bingo game);
(2) "Bingo game" means a specific game of chance played with individual cards having numbered squares ranging from one to 75, in which prizes are awarded on the basis of designated numbers on such cards conforming to a predetermined pattern of numbers (but shall not include "instant bingo" which is a game of chance played by the selection of one or more prepackaged cards, with winners determined by the appearance of a preselected designation on the card);
(3) Repealed by Session Laws 1983 (Regular Session 1984), c. 1107, s. 5.
(4) "Local law-enforcement agency" means for any bingo game conducted outside the corporate limits of a municipality or inside the corporate limits of a municipality having no municipal police force:
a. The county police force; or
b. The county sheriff's office in a county with no county police force;
(5) "Local law-enforcement agency" means the municipal police for any bingo game conducted within the corporate limits of a municipality having a police force;
(6) "Beach bingo games" means bingo games which have prizes of ten dollars ($10.00) or less or merchandise that is not redeemable for cash and that has a value of ten dollars ($10.00) or less; and
(7) "Licensed exempt organization" means an exempt organization which possesses a currently valid license.
(8) "Nonprofit organization" means an organization or association recognized by the Department of Revenue as tax exempt pursuant to G.S. 105-130.11(a), or any bona fide branch, chapter, or affiliate of that organization. (1983, c. 896, s. 3; 1983 (Reg. Sess., 1984), c. 1107, ss. 2, 5; 2018-100, s. 5(a).)