§ 136‑21.  Drainage of highway; application to court; summons; commissioners.

Whenever in the establishment, construction, improvement or maintenance of any public highway it shall be necessary to drain said highway, and to accomplish such purpose it becomes necessary to excavate a canal or canals for carrying the surplus water to some appropriate outlet, either along the right‑of‑way of said highway or across the lands of other landowners, and by the construction, enlargement or improvement of such canal or canals, lands other than said highway will be drained and benefited, then, and in such event, the Department of Transportation, if said highway be a part of the State highway system, or the county commissioners, if said road is not under State supervision, may, by petition, apply to the superior court of the county in which, in whole or in part, said highway lies or said canal is to be constructed, setting forth the necessity for the construction, improvement or maintenance of said canal, the lands which will be drained thereby, with such particularity as to enable same to be identified, the names of the owners of said land and the particular circumstances of the case; whereupon a summons shall be issued for and served upon each of the proprietors, requiring them to appear before the court at a time to be named in the summons, which shall not be less than 10 days from the service thereof, and upon such day the petition shall be heard, and the court shall appoint three disinterested persons, one of whom shall be a competent civil and drainage engineer recommended by the Department of Environmental Quality, and the other two of whom shall be resident freeholders of the county or counties in which the road and lands are, in whole or in part, located, as commissioners, who shall, before entering upon the discharge of their duties, be sworn to do justice between the parties. (1925, c. 85, s. 3; c. 122, s. 44; 1933, c. 172, s. 17; 1957, c. 65, s. 11; 1973, c. 507, s. 5; c. 1262, s. 86; 1977, c. 464, s. 7.1; c. 771, s. 4; 1989, c. 727, s. 218(88); 1997‑443, s. 11A.119(a); 2015‑241, s. 14.30(u).)