§ 131E-16. Definitions.
As used in this Part, unless otherwise specified:
(1) "Board of county commissioners" means the legislative body charged with governing the county.
(2) "Bonds" means any bonds or notes issued by the hospital authority pursuant to this Part and the Local Government Finance Act, Chapter 159 of the General Statutes.
(3) "City" means any city or town which is, or is about to be, included in the territorial boundaries of a hospital authority when created hereunder.
(4) "City clerk" and "mayor" means the clerk and mayor, respectively, of the city, or the officers thereof charged with the duties customarily imposed on the clerk and mayor, respectively.
(5) "City council" means the legislative body, council, board of commissioners, board of trustees, or other body charged with governing the city or town.
(6) "Commissioner" means one of the members of a hospital authority appointed in accordance with the provisions of this Part.
(7) "Community general hospital" means a short-term nonfederal hospital that provides diagnostic and therapeutic services to patients for a variety of medical conditions, both surgical and nonsurgical, such services being available for use primarily by residents of the community in which it is located.
(8) "Contract" means any agreement of a hospital authority with or for the benefit of an obligee whether contained in a resolution, trust indenture, mortgage, lease, bond or other instrument.
(9) "Corporation, foreign or domestic, authorized to do business in North Carolina" means a corporation for profit or having a capital stock which is created and organized under Chapter 55 of the General Statutes or any other general or special act of this State, or a foreign corporation which has procured a certificate of authority to transact business in this State pursuant to Article 10 of Chapter 55 of the General Statutes.
(10) "County" means the county which is, or is about to be, included in the territorial boundaries of a hospital authority when created hereunder.
(11) "County clerk" and "chairman of the board of county commissioners" means the clerk and chairman, respectively, of the county or the officers thereof charged with the duties customarily imposed on the clerk and chairman, respectively.
(12) "Federal government" means the United States of America, or any agency, instrumentality, corporate or otherwise, of the United States of America.
(13) "Government" means the State and federal governments and any subdivision, agency or instrumentality, corporate or otherwise, of either of them.
(14) "Hospital authority" means a public body and a body corporate and politic organized under the provisions of this Part.
(15) "Hospital facilities" means any one or more buildings, structures, additions, extensions, improvements or other facilities, whether or not located on the same site or sites, machinery, equipment, furnishings or other real or personal property suitable for health care or medical care; and includes, without limitation, general hospitals; chronic disease, maternity, mental, tuberculosis and other specialized hospitals; nursing homes, including skilled nursing facilities and intermediate care facilities; adult care homes for the aged and disabled; public health center facilities; housing or quarters for local public health departments; facilities for intensive care and self-care; clinics and outpatient facilities; clinical, pathological and other laboratories; health care research facilities; laundries; residences and training facilities for nurses, interns, physicians and other staff members; food preparation and food service facilities; administrative buildings, central service and other administrative facilities; communication, computer and other electronic facilities; fire-fighting facilities; pharmaceutical and recreational facilities; storage space; X ray, laser, radiotherapy and other apparatus and equipment; dispensaries; utilities; vehicular parking lots and garages; office facilities for hospital staff members and physicians; and such other health and hospital facilities customarily under the jurisdiction of or provided by hospitals, or any combination of the foregoing, with all necessary, convenient or related interests in land, machinery, apparatus, appliances, equipment, furnishings, appurtenances, site preparation, landscaping and physical amenities.
(15a) "Hospital land" means air and ground rights to real property held either in fee or by lease by a hospital authority, with all easements, rights-of-way, appurtenances, landscaping, and physical amenities such as utilities, parking lots, and garages, but excluding other improvements to land described in G.S. 131E-6(4) and subsection (15) of this section.
(16) "Municipality" means any county, city, town or incorporated village, other than a city as defined above, which is located within or partially within the territorial boundaries of an authority.
(17) "Real property" means lands, lands under water, structures, and any and all easements, franchises and incorporeal hereditaments and every estate and right therein, legal and equitable, including terms for years and liens by way of judgment, mortgage or otherwise.
(18) "State" means the State of North Carolina. (1943, c. 780, s. 3; 1971, c. 780, s. 22; c. 799; 1983, c. 775, s. 1; 1995, c. 535, s. 19; 1997-233, s. 3.)