§ 131A-8. Operation of health care facilities; loan agreements; agreements of sale or lease; conveyance of interest in health care facilities.
All health care facilities shall be operated to serve and benefit the public and there shall be no discrimination against any person based on race, creed, color or national origin.
The Commission may sell or lease any health care facilities to a public or nonprofit agency for operation and maintenance or lend money to any public or nonprofit agency in such manner as shall effectuate the purposes of this Article, under a loan agreement or an agreement of sale or lease in form and substance not inconsistent herewith. Any such loan agreement or agreement of sale or lease may include provisions that:
(1) The public or nonprofit agency shall, at its own expense, operate, repair and maintain the health care facilities covered by such agreement;
(2) The purchase price payments to be made under the agreement of sale, the rent payable under the agreement of lease or the loan repayments under the loan agreement shall in the aggregate be not less than an amount sufficient to pay all of the interest, principal and any redemption premium on the bonds or notes issued by the Commission to pay the cost of the health care facilities sold or leased thereunder or to make the loan with respect thereto;
(3) The public or nonprofit agency shall pay all other costs incurred by the Commission in connection with the providing of the health care facilities covered by any such agreement, except such costs as may be paid out of the proceeds of bonds or notes or otherwise, including, but without limitation, insurance costs, the cost of administering the resolution authorizing the issuance of, or any trust agreement securing, such bonds or notes and the fees and expenses of trustees, paying agents, attorneys, consultants and others;
(4) The loan agreement or the agreement of sale or lease shall terminate not earlier than the date on which all such bonds and all other obligations incurred by the Commission in connection with the health care facilities covered by any such agreement shall be retired or provision for such retirement shall be made; and
(5) The obligation of the public or nonprofit agency to make loan repayments or purchase price payments or to pay rent shall not be subject to cancellation, termination or abatement by the public or nonprofit agency until the bonds have been retired or provision has been made for such retirement.
All obligations payable by a public agency under a loan agreement or an agreement of sale or lease, including the obligation to make loan repayments or purchase price payments or to pay rent and to pay the costs of operating, repairing and maintaining health care facilities, shall be payable solely from the revenues of the health care facilities being purchased or leased or with respect to which a loan is made or other health care facilities of the health care facilities of the public agency or from any federally guaranteed security and moneys received therefrom and shall not be payable from or charged upon any funds of the public agency other than the revenues pledged to such payment; provided, however, that nothing herein shall restrict the power of any county, city, town or other political subdivision of the State or any hospital district created pursuant to Article 13C of Chapter 131 of the General Statutes to submit to its qualified voters a health care facility maintenance tax under Article 13B of said Chapter 131 for the purposes of financing the cost of operation, equipment and maintenance of any health care facility financed for any public agency under this Article and all health care facilities authorized to be financed under this Article and leased to public agencies are hereby declared to be included within the definition "hospital facility" as used in said Article 13B.
Where the Commission has acquired a possessory or ownership interest in any health care facilities which it has undertaken on behalf of a public or nonprofit agency it shall promptly convey, without the payment of any consideration, all its right, title and interest in such health care facilities to such public or nonprofit agency upon the retirement or provision for the retirement of all bonds or notes issued and obligations incurred by the Commission in connection with such health care facilities. (1975, c. 766, s. 1; 1979, c. 54, s. 9; 2019-240, s. 27.1(a), (b).)