The State solid waste management plan shall include, at a minimum:
(1) Procedures to encourage cooperative efforts in solid waste management by counties and municipalities and groups of counties and municipalities where appropriate, including the establishment of joint agencies pursuant to G.S. 160A-462.
(2) Provisions for the continuation of existing effective regional resource recovery, recycling, and solid waste management facilities and programs.
(3) Planning guidance and technical assistance to counties and municipalities to aid in meeting the municipal solid waste reduction goals established in G.S. 130A-309.04.
(4) Planning guidance and technical assistance to counties and municipalities to assist the development and implementation of solid waste reduction programs.
(5) Technical assistance to counties and municipalities in determining the full cost for solid waste management as required in G.S. 130A-309.08.
(6) Planning guidance and technical assistance to counties and municipalities to assist the development and implementation of programs for alternative disposal, processing, or recycling of the solid wastes prohibited from disposal in landfills pursuant to G.S. 130A-309.10 and for special wastes.
(7) A public education program, to be developed in cooperation with the Department of Public Instruction, units of local government, other State agencies, and business and industry organizations, to inform the public of the need for and the benefits of recycling solid waste and reducing the amounts of solid and hazardous waste generated and disposed of in the State. The public education program shall be implemented through public workshops and through the use of brochures, reports, public service announcements, and other materials.
(8) Provisions to encourage partnerships between the public and private sectors that strengthen the supply of, and demand for, recyclable materials and that foster opportunities for economic development from the recovery and reuse of materials. (1989, c. 784, s. 2; 1991, c. 621, s. 5; 1995 (Reg. Sess., 1996), c. 594, s. 11.)