§ 122E-3.1. Community Living Housing Fund.
(a) Definitions. - The following definitions apply in this section:
(1) Catchment area. - As defined in G.S. 122C-3.
(2) Targeted units. - Units within Low Income Housing Tax Credit developments that are specifically designed to facilitate the inclusion of individuals with disabilities.
(b) Creation and Source of Funds. - The Community Living Housing Fund is established within the Housing Finance Agency to pay for the transition of individuals diagnosed with severe mental illness or severe and persistent mental illness as defined in G.S. 122C-20.5 from institutional settings to integrated, community-based supported housing and to increase the percentage of targeted housing units available to individuals with disabilities for use in the North Carolina Supportive Housing Program under Article 1B of Chapter 122C of the General Statutes. Beginning with fiscal year 2013-2014, any unexpended, unencumbered balance of the amount appropriated to the Transitions to Community Living Fund established pursuant to Section 10.23A(d) of S.L. 2012-142 at the end of each fiscal year shall not revert but shall be transferred and made available to the Community Living Housing Fund.
(c) Use of Funds. - The North Carolina Housing Finance Agency, in consultation with the Department of Health and Human Services, shall be responsible for administering the Community Living Housing Fund. The monies in the Fund shall be available for expenditure only upon an act of appropriation by the General Assembly and only for the following purposes:
(1) To provide permanent community-based housing in integrated settings appropriate for individuals with severe mental illness and severe and persistent mental illness.
(2) To support an increase in the number of targeted units for individuals with disabilities located in housing projects funded by the Housing Finance Agency from ten percent (10%) to fifteen percent (15%). The additional targeted units funded shall be made available to the Department of Health and Human Services for use in the North Carolina Supportive Housing Program under Article 1B of Chapter 122C of the General Statutes. Priority for funding of the additional targeted units shall be given to units to be located in catchment areas identified by the Department of Health and Human Services, in consultation with the North Carolina Housing Finance Agency and LME/MCOs, as having the greatest need for targeted units.
(3) To recruit property owners who are willing to rent targeted units to individuals with disabilities. (2013-397, s. 8; 2015-241, s. 25A.1.)