§ 122C-127. Consolidated human services board; human services director.
(a) Except as otherwise provided by this section and subject to any limitations that may be imposed by the board of county commissioners under G.S. 153A-77, a consolidated human services agency shall have the responsibility and authority set forth in G.S. 122C-117(a) to carry out the programs established in this Chapter in conformity with the rules and regulations of the Department and under the supervision of the Secretary in the same manner as an area authority. In addition to the powers conferred by G.S. 153A-77(d), a consolidated human services board shall have all the powers and duties of the governing unit of an area authority as provided by G.S. 122C-117(b), except that the consolidated human services board may not:
(1) Appoint the human services director.
(2) Transmit or present the budget for social services programs.
(3) Enter into contracts, including contracts to provide services to governmental or private entities, unless specifically authorized to do so by the board of county commissioners in accordance with county contracting policies and procedures.
(b) In addition to the powers conferred by G.S. 153A-77(e), a human services director shall have all the powers and duties of an area director as provided by G.S. 122C-121, except that the human services director may:
(1) Serve as the executive officer of the consolidated human services board only to the extent and in the manner authorized by the county manager.
(2) Appoint staff of the consolidated human services agency only upon the approval of the county manager.
The human services director is not an employee of the area board, but serves as an employee of the county under the direct supervision of the county manager. (1995 (Reg. Sess., 1996), c. 690, s. 12.)