§ 116-294. Cheatham-White Scholarships; administration of scholarships.
The University of North Carolina System Office shall administer the Cheatham-White Scholarships, in consultation and collaboration with North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University and North Carolina Central University, pursuant to policies adopted by the Board of Trustees of both constituent institutions. As part of its administrative responsibilities, The University of North Carolina System Office, in consultation and collaboration with North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University and North Carolina Central University, shall do all of the following:
(1) Design and implement an application and school nomination process to be used to identify potential scholarship candidates and a process for awarding the scholarships.
(2) Develop a direct nomination process, in addition to the school nomination process, that allows a student to nominate himself or herself to be considered as a candidate for the scholarship in certain circumstances.
(3) Define and describe more fully the selection criteria to be considered when choosing a scholarship candidate and recipient.
(4) Identify the parties that will (i) evaluate scholarship applications and nominations and (ii) determine which candidates shall be awarded scholarships.
(5) Design the framework and add the necessary substantive detail for the scholarship program, including courses of study that will be available, summer enrichment programs, and other extraordinary educational opportunities, and oversee its implementation.
(6) Establish a mentoring and networking system for scholarship recipients.
(7) Administer the Cheatham-White Scholarships Fund.
(8) Establish a Cheatham-White Scholarships alumni association and network.
(9) Any other function necessary for the successful implementation of the Cheatham-White Scholarships program and administration of the Cheatham-White Scholarships Fund. (2016-94, s. 11.4(e); 2018-12, s. 12.)