Need-Based Scholarships for Students Attending Private Institutions of Higher Education.
§ 116-280. Definitions.
The following definitions apply to this Article:
(1) Academic year. - A period of time in which a student is expected to complete the equivalent of at least two semesters' or three quarters' academic work.
(1a) Armed Forces. - As defined in G.S. 116-143.3(a)(2).
(2) Authority. - The State Education Assistance Authority created by Article 23 of Chapter 116 of the General Statutes.
(3) Eligible private postsecondary institution. - A school that is any of the following:
a. A nonprofit postsecondary educational institution with a main permanent campus located in this State that is not owned or operated by the State of North Carolina or by an agency or political subdivision of the State or by any combination thereof that satisfies all of the following:
1. Is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools under the standards of the College Delegate Assembly of the Association or by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges through its Commission on Institutions of Higher Education.
2. Awards a postsecondary degree as defined in G.S. 116-15.
b. A postsecondary institution owned or operated by a hospital authority as defined in G.S. 131E-16(14) or school of nursing affiliated with a nonprofit postsecondary educational institution as defined in sub-subdivision a. of this subsection.
(4) Main permanent campus. - A campus owned by the eligible private postsecondary institution that provides permanent on-premises housing, food services, and classrooms with full-time faculty members and administration that engages in postsecondary degree activity as defined in G.S. 116-15.
(5) Matriculated status. - Being recognized as a student in a defined program of study leading to a degree, diploma, or certificate at an eligible private postsecondary institution.
(6) Scholarship. - A scholarship for education awarded under this Article.
(7) Title IV. - Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, 20 U.S.C. § 1070, et seq.
(8) Veteran. - A veteran as defined in G.S. 116-143.3A who was discharged or released from service under conditions other than dishonorable. (2011-145, s. 9.18(a); 2018-5, s. 10A.6(a); 2018-97, s. 2.17(a).)