§ 115C-302.4. (Expires June 30, 2021) High-need retired teachers.
(a) Definitions. - The following definitions apply in this section:
(1) High-need retired teacher. - A beneficiary of the Teachers' and State Employees' Retirement System of North Carolina who meets both of the following requirements:
a. Retired on or before February 1, 2019, after attaining (i) the age of at least 65 with five years of creditable service, (ii) the age of at least 60 with 25 years of creditable service, or (iii) 30 years of creditable service.
b. Is reemployed by a local board of education to provide classroom instruction as a teacher, as defined in G.S. 135-1(25), employed on an annual contract to provide classroom instruction exclusively at a high-need school or schools.
(2) High-need school. - A school that, at any point on or after July 1, 2017, meets one of the following criteria:
a. Is a Title I school. As used in this sub-subdivision, a Title I school is a school identified under Part A of Title I of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, as amended.
b. Receives an overall school performance grade of D or F, as calculated by the State Board of Education pursuant to G.S. 115C-83.15(d).
(3) STEM. - Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
(b) Salary Level. - A high-need retired teacher shall be compensated as follows:
(1) Except as provided in subdivision (2) of this subsection, a high-need retired teacher shall be paid on the first step of the teacher salary schedule.
(2) If a high-need retired teacher serves as a teacher in any of the following licensure areas, he or she shall be paid on the sixth step of the teacher salary schedule:
b. Special education.
(c) No State Salary Supplements or Increase in Salary. - A high-need retired teacher shall not receive any State salary supplement or State bonus. A high-need retired teacher shall not move beyond the salary steps prescribed by subsection (b) of this section, regardless of the length of time spent as a high-need retired teacher.
(d) Local Salary Supplement. - A high-need retired teacher shall receive any local salary supplements that are given to employees of the local board of education.
(e) Term of Contract. - A contract between the local board of education and a high-need retired teacher shall be for a term of no more than one school year.
(f) Identification of STEM and Special Education Licensure Areas. - The Superintendent of Public Instruction shall identify and provide to each local school administrative unit a list of STEM and special education licensure areas that qualify for reemployment pursuant to subdivision (b)(2) of this section. Local school administrative units shall make the list of STEM and special education licensure areas available to high-need retired teachers. (2019-110, s. 1; 2019-212, s. 7(a).)