§ 115C-269.10. Educator preparation program approval process.
(a) State Board Authority. - The State Board shall have authority to approve an EPP that meets the requirements established by rule as provided in subsection (b) of this section.
(b) Rules for Granting State Approval. - The State Board shall adopt rules for granting approval to EPPs in accordance with this Article. The rules shall ensure the following:
(1) A rigorous approval process that requires that the criteria in this Article are met.
(2) An application process, peer review, and technical assistance provided by the State Board.
(3) An approval period of five years and process for renewal of approval.
(c) Minimum Approval Standards. - At a minimum, the rules established as provided in subsection (b) of this section shall include the following standards:
(1) Students shall develop a deep understanding of the critical concepts and principles of their discipline and, by completion, be able to use discipline-specific practices flexibly to advance the learning of all students toward attainment of college- and career-ready standards.
(2) Effective partnerships and high-quality clinical practice shall be central to preparation so that students develop the knowledge, skills, and professional dispositions necessary to demonstrate positive impact on all elementary and secondary students' learning and development.
(3) Quality of students shall be a continuing and purposeful part of the EPP's responsibility from recruitment, at admission, through the progression of courses and field experiences, and to decisions that completers are prepared to teach effectively and are recommended for licensure. The EPP shall demonstrate that development of student quality is the goal of educator preparation in all phases of the program through evidence of impact under subdivision (4) of this subsection.
(4) The EPP shall demonstrate the impact of its completers on elementary and secondary student learning and development, classroom instruction, and schools, and the satisfaction of its completers with the relevance and effectiveness of their preparation.
(5) The EPP shall maintain a quality assurance system comprised of valid data from multiple measures, including evidence of students' and completers' positive impact on elementary and secondary student learning and development. The EPP shall support continuous improvement that is sustained and evidence-based and that evaluates the effectiveness of its completers. The EPP shall use the results of inquiry and data collection to establish priorities, enhance program elements and capacity, and test innovations to improve completers' impact on elementary and secondary student learning and development.
(d) Application. - An EPP seeking to be approved by the State Board shall complete the application process established by the State Board.
(e) Peer Review. - An EPP seeking to be approved by the State Board shall undergo a peer review process established by the State Board that includes highly qualified and trained members to adequately review programs within the State.
(f) Technical Assistance. - For EPPs seeking approval, the State Board shall provide technical assistance in efforts to do the following:
(1) Improve education quality and EPP performance.
(2) Inform EPPs about the program approval process as part of EPP performance based on outcome data.
(3) Assist with State and federal reporting processes.
(4) Help build and maintain partnerships between elementary and secondary schools and EPPs. (2017-189, s. 2(i).)