Tuition and Fee Waivers.
§ 115B-1. Definitions.
The following definitions apply in this Chapter:
(1) Correctional officer. - An employee of an employer who is certified as a State correctional officer under the provisions of Article 1 of Chapter 17C of the General Statutes.
(1a) Employer. - The State of North Carolina and its departments, agencies, and institutions; or a county, city, town, or other political subdivision of the State.
(2) Firefighter or volunteer firefighter. - The same as provided in G.S. 58-86-25 for "eligible firemen".
(3) Law enforcement officer. - An employee or volunteer of an employer who possesses the power of arrest, who has taken the law enforcement oath administered under the authority of the State as prescribed by G.S. 11-11, and who is certified as a law enforcement officer under the provisions of Article 1 of Chapter 17C of the General Statutes or certified as a deputy sheriff under the provisions of Chapter 17E of the General Statutes. "Law enforcement officer" also means the sheriff of the county.
(4) Permanently and totally disabled as a direct result of a traumatic injury sustained in the line of duty. - A person: (i) who as a law enforcement officer, correctional officer, firefighter, volunteer firefighter, or rescue squad worker suffered a disabling injury while in active service or training for active service, (ii) who at the time of active service or training was a North Carolina resident, and (iii) who has been determined to be permanently and totally disabled for compensation purposes by the North Carolina Industrial Commission.
(5) Rescue squad worker. - The same as provided in G.S. 58-86-30 for "eligible rescue squad worker".
(6) Survivor. - Any person whose parent, legal guardian, legal custodian, or spouse: (i) was a law enforcement officer, a correctional officer, a firefighter, a volunteer firefighter, or a rescue squad worker, (ii) was killed while in active service or training for active service or died as a result of a service-connected disability, and (iii) at the time of active service or training was a North Carolina resident. The term does not include the widow or widower of a law enforcement officer, correctional officer, firefighter, volunteer firefighter, or a rescue squad worker if the widow or widower has remarried.
(7) Tuition. - The amount charged for registering for a credit hour of instruction and shall not be construed to mean any other fees or charges or costs of textbooks. (1975, c. 606, s. 1; 1977, c. 981, s. 1; 1997-505, s. 2; 2003-230, s. 1; 2015-296, s. 1; 2019-235, s. 3.5(a).)