§ 10B-14. Instructor's certification.
(a) The course of study required by G.S. 10B-5(b) shall be taught by an instructor certified under rules adopted by the Secretary. An instructor must meet the following requirements to be certified to teach a course of study for notaries public:
(1) Complete and pass an instructor certification course of not less than six hours taught by the Director or other person approved by the Secretary.
(2) Have at least one year of active experience as a notary public.
(3) Maintain a current commission as a notary public.
(4) Possess the current notary public guidebook.
(5) Pay a nonrefundable fee of fifty dollars ($50.00).
(b) Certification to teach a course of study for notaries shall be effective for two years. A certification may be renewed by passing a recertification course taught by the Director or other person approved by the Secretary and by paying a nonrefundable fee of fifty dollars ($50.00).
(c) The following individuals may be certified to teach a course of study for notaries public without paying the fee required by this section, and they may renew their certification without paying the renewal fee, so long as they remain actively employed in the capacities named:
(1) Registers of deeds.
(2) Clerks of court.
(3) The Director and other duly authorized employees of the Secretary.
(d) Former registers of deeds and clerks of court who have been certified as notary public instructors must apply for commissioning as a notary public but are exempt from the education requirements of G.S. 10B-8 after successful completion of an examination administered by the Secretary.
(e) Assistant and deputy registers of deeds and assistant and deputy clerks of court must have a regular notary commission prior to receiving a certification or recertification as a notary public instructor.
(f) The Secretary may suspend or revoke the certification of a notary instructor for violating the provisions of this Chapter or any of the administrative rules implementing it. (1991, c. 683, s. 2; 1998-212, s. 29A.9(a); 1998-228, s. 4; 1999-337, s. 3(b); 2005-391, s. 4.)