Part 1A. S Corporation Income Tax.
§ 105-131. Title; definitions; interpretation.
(a) This Part of the income tax Article shall be known and may be cited as the S Corporation Income Tax Act.
(b) For the purpose of this Part, unless otherwise required by the context:
(1) "Code" has the same meaning as in G.S. 105-228.90.
(2) "C Corporation" means a corporation that is not an S Corporation and is subject to the tax levied under Part 1 of this Article.
(3) "Department" means the Department of Revenue.
(4) "Income attributable to the State" means items of income, loss, deduction, or credit of the S Corporation apportioned and allocated to this State pursuant to G.S. 105-130.4.
(5) "Income not attributable to the State" means all items of income, loss, deduction, or credit of the S Corporation other than income attributable to the State.
(6) "Post-termination transition period" means that period defined in section 1377(b)(1) of the Code.
(7) "Pro rata share" means the share determined with respect to an S Corporation shareholder for a taxable period in the manner provided in section 1377(a) of the Code.
(8) "S Corporation" means a corporation for which a valid election under section 1362(a) of the Code is in effect.
(9) "Secretary" means the Secretary of Revenue.
(10) "Taxable period" means any taxable year or portion of a taxable year during which a corporation is an S Corporation.
(11) (Effective for taxable years beginning on or after January 1, 2022) "Taxed S Corporation" means an S Corporation for which a valid election under G.S. 105-131.1A(a) is in effect.
(c) Except as otherwise expressly provided or clearly appearing from the context, any term used in this Part shall have the same meaning as when used in a comparable context in the Code, or in any statute relating to federal income taxes, in effect during the taxable period. Due consideration shall be given in the interpretation of this Part to applicable sections of the Code in effect and to federal rulings and regulations interpreting those sections, except where the Code, ruling, or regulation conflicts with the provisions of this Part. (1987 (Reg. Sess., 1988), c. 1089, s. 1; 1989, c. 728, ss. 1.33, 1.35; 1989 (Reg. Sess., 1990), c. 981, s. 4; 1991, c. 689, s. 251; 1991 (Reg. Sess., 1992), c. 922, s. 5; 1993, c. 12, s. 6; 1998-98, ss. 43, 68-70; 2021-180, s. 42.5(a).)