§ 105-129.82. (See notes) Sunset; studies.
(a) Sunset. - This Article is repealed effective for business activities that occur on or after January 1, 2014.
(b) Equity Study. - The Department of Commerce shall study the effect of the tax incentives provided in this Article on tax equity. This study shall include the following:
(1) Reexamining the formula in G.S. 143B-437.08 used to define development tiers, to include consideration of alternative measures for more equitable treatment of counties in similar economic circumstances.
(2) Considering whether the assignment of tiers and the applicable thresholds are equitable for smaller counties.
(3) Compiling any available data on whether expanding North Carolina businesses receive fewer benefits than out-of-State businesses that locate to North Carolina.
(c) Impact Study. - The Department of Commerce shall study the effectiveness of the tax incentives provided in this Article. This study shall include:
(1) Studying the distribution of tax incentives across new and expanding businesses and industries.
(2) Examining data on economic recruitment for the period from 2005 through the most recent year for which data are available by county, by industry type, by size of investment, and by number of jobs, and other relevant information to determine the pattern of business locations and expansions before and after the enactment of this Article.
(3) Measuring the direct costs and benefits of the tax incentives.
(4) Compiling available information on the current use of incentives by other states and whether that use is increasing or declining.
(d) Report. - The Department of Commerce shall report the results of these studies and its recommendations to the General Assembly biennially with the first report due by June 1, 2009. (2006-252, s. 1.1; 2010-147, s. 1.1; 2012-36, s. 5.)