Falls Lake Watershed Association.
§ 77-140. Definitions.
The following definitions apply in this Article:
(1) "Board of directors" has the same meaning as in G.S. 55A-1-40.
(2) "Falls Lake watershed" means those natural areas of drainage including all tributaries contributing to the supply of Falls Lake, the specific limits of which are designated by the Environmental Management Commission pursuant to G.S. 143-213.
(3) "Local government" means a county, city, town, or incorporated village that is located in whole or in part within the Falls Lake watershed. Local government also includes any water or sewer authority that is created pursuant to Article 1 of Chapter 162A of the General Statutes that provides service within the Falls Lake watershed.
(4) "Nonprofit corporation" has the same meaning as in G.S. 55A-1-40. (2010-155, s. 1.)
§ 77-141. Falls Lake Watershed Association criteria for creation; board of directors; purpose; meetings; and records.
(a) Local governments may elect to incorporate the Falls Lake Watershed Association nonprofit corporation or establish the Association using an existing nonprofit corporation. The Association shall only be comprised of local governments that choose to participate in the Association.
(b) Each local government that elects to participate in the Association shall appoint a representative and an alternate representative to serve on the board of directors of the Association. The first board of directors that is appointed to the Association shall adopt bylaws that govern the operation of the Association.
(c) The purposes of the Association may include, but are not limited to:
(1) Providing a forum for sharing information in order to assist local governments in complying with State and federal laws that pertain to the water quality in the Falls Lake watershed.
(2) Providing a mechanism for participating local governments to coordinate and fund common technical resources.
(3) Planning for and conducting water quality monitoring in the Falls Lake watershed in coordination with the Department of Environmental Quality.
(4) Coordinating with the Department of Environmental Quality in the development of a transparent and accessible system for recording and maintaining nutrient offsets and credits that complies with any rules adopted to protect and restore water quality in the Falls Lake watershed.
(5) Providing a public forum to review and discuss innovative approaches to restore, protect, and maintain water quality in the Falls Lake watershed.
(6) Conducting and evaluating scientific research that describes or predicts conditions related to or affecting water quality in the Falls Lake watershed, including the reservoir.
(d) The Association shall be subject to the requirements for meetings of public bodies pursuant to Article 33C of Chapter 143 of the General Statutes.
(e) The Association shall be subject to the requirements for public records pursuant to Chapter 132 of the General Statutes. (2010-155, s. 1; 2015-241, s. 14.30(u).)
§ 77-142. Memoranda of understanding.
To the extent allowed by law, the Department of Environmental Quality may enter into memoranda of understanding with the Association to implement the purposes in G.S. 77-141(c). (2010-155, s. 1; 2015-241, s. 14.30(u).)
§ 77-143. Authority.
The authority granted pursuant to this Article is in addition to and not in derogation of any other authority granted to local governments under any other provision of law. (2010-155, s. 1.)